Jacob advises businesses and individuals in commercial, construction, employment disputes and dispute avoidance. Jacob has handled cases in state and federal courts throughout Texas as well as arbitration proceeding and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. He also appeared in proceedings in Texas appellate courts and briefed a number of cases for the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. In 2012, Jacob worked in house with a large financial services company on a seconded basis. His time in house, combined with his business undergraduate degree helps him see things from the business perspective and to help clients resolve problems with practical solutions that make the most business sense.
Construction and Surety
- Representation of developers, general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers through all stages of the construction process.
- Representation of sureties in payment and performance bond disputes.
- Representation of developers, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and project owners in construction defect disputes.
Labor and Employment
- Prosecute and defend claims involving non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
- Prosecute and defend claims involving breach of employment agreements and trade-secret misappropriation.
- Defend employers in Title VII, ADA, FMLA, and Section 1983 claims.
- Assist companies in developing, reviewing, and revising employment agreements, severance agreement, employee handbooks and other employment related agreements.
- Prosecute and defend claims involving shareholder disputes and business dissolutions.
- Prosecute and defend breach of contract cases.
- Prosecute and defend trade secret cases.
- Prosecute and defend trademark and copyright infringement cases.
- Prosecute and defend breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and tortious interference cases.
- Prosecute and defend claims involving property line disputes, adverse possession, and easement rights.
- Defend financial institutions and servicers in claims involving foreclosure of real property liens.
- Prosecute and defend breach of lease claims.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Texas Rising Star 2017-2018
- Texas Rising Star 2016-2017
- President, SMU Dedman School of Law, International Law Review Association
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- State Courts of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans, Louisiana
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2009)
- Utah State University (B.S., Business Management, cum laude, 2002)